The identities of about ten residents of Jibia Local Government Area of Katsina state crushed to death by a Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) patrol vehicle have been revealed.
Jibia is on the Nigerian border with Niger Republic.
SaharaReporters had reported that a Hilux van of the NCS rammed into people at a roadside in the community, killing many people.
Residents said the accident occurred while the officers were pursuing a J5 Peugeot bus they suspected was being used to smuggle rice.
However, the Public Relations Officer of the Service in Katsina state, Danbaba Isa, disputed the account that the officers were pursuing a vehicle.
“What we know is that it was an accident that can occur to anyone. The accident occured this morning after some of our officers finished eating and were returning to their checkpoint when their vehicle developed brake fault and it resulted in the accident,” he said.
In a statement on Wednesday, some concerned citizens of the community unveiled the full names and ages of those killed, including a four-year-old boy.
The list below;
1. Garba Lawal, Male, 60 years
2. Sani Hassan, Male, 55 years
3. Muntari Adamu, Male, 24 years
4. Adamu Iliyasu, Male, 15 years
5. Muntari Ibrahim Nagari, Male, 58 years
6. Nasiru Rabiu, Male, 52 years
7. Khadijah Murtala, Female, 8 years
8. Badaru Halilu, Male, 15 years
9. Ummulkhairi Usman, Female, 16 years
10. Muhammad Sufiya, Male, 4 years